In an effort to learn more about meat and different cuts, my brother has bought me “Lobel’s Meat Bible” for the holidays. I have been reading it and following the explanations of the cuts of Beef. I also have been watching videos of various butchers cutting down the cow and getting to these cuts. The process is very interesting and being that this is what I was doing all day yesterday, I decided do get a Porterhouse for dinner. I live right near Eli’s Vinegar Factory, which has a beautiful Butcher shop as well as a aging room for beef! I purchase a nice porterhouse which the friendly butcher cut down to size for me.
This is how I prepare my Porterhouse for use on my cast iron:
1. Sprinkle Salt (I prefer sea salt) on the meat, and let it come to room temperature.
2. Pat dry the meat after coming to room temperature, not much should have come out.
3. Pat on some olive oil and grind some black pepper and rub it into the steak.
4. Get the cast iron hot!
5. Preheat oven to 375.
6. 3 Minutes per side on the cast iron (don’t touch the meat let it cook!).
7. Place in the oven for 7-9 minutes (my oven is pretty bad so closer to 9)
8. LET IT REST (5 Mins, if you have a rack use it!) after it reaches your temperature of choice. I prefer Rare.